6.09.2007

The Long and the Short of It

Is I can't talk about it now.

A friend and I were having a conversation - at work - about meeting people. I turned to her, with a great deal of sincerity, to try and understand why I was not meeting people, or a certain kind of people, or adventure people, or any people. Was it me, I asked. And she turned to me, with a great deal of sincerity, and asked "could it be that you are working seven days a week?" I looked at her, confused. "Oh, that's right, it's because you're working seven days a week." And then she smiled at me and patted me on the back, or head, or something, and we continued talking about the adventure people, or any kind of people she had met that gave her fodder for interesting conversation.

And that pretty much sums it up for me. I'm not complaining, just reflecting on the fact that aside from nominally being able to reflect on the events and psychological goings on in my life & take in the changes, my interactions are fairly limited to the stylists and photo assistants that ask me to get them hangers and packing tape, and the drunk yahoos I enable who think I'm a lesbian because I have a tattoo and like to drink whiskey.

Somewhere in the cycle of working, eating, sleeping, and occasionally watching something my roommate has Tvoed, there are a lot of things I would like to cram in. Like, I graduated from college. That's a lot to think about. Like, I'm trying to get a dog. That's a lot to do. Like, I want to finish this apartment. That's even more of a lot to do. Like, there are relationships that need mending and tending because they are important. That's a lot of inspiring and complicated playlists to make. Like, oh you know, everything else, that just to mention creates such an overwhelming and far reaching feeling of excitement & confusion & fear & all those things people feel when there are a lot of big things to have feelings about, that I would rather not sit down and think about them all at one time. Let alone write tham on the internet so that there is some sort of referential checklist I can go back to and feel like tackling these giant goals is like cleaning your room.

One. Step. At. A. Time. This is just big kid life, isn't it? Baz Lurhman was trying to prepare us all for this in his inspiring speech about wearing sunscreen, wasn't he? Damn it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go drink some beers on a roof, and shortly, go to work.

No comments: