6.30.2007

I'm Pissed

The human race in general dissapoints, disgusts, and infuriates me when it comes to "adopting" or "purchasing" dogs. Or any animal. But we're talking about dogs.

One major reason the ACC has to euthanize as many animals as it does everyday is because there are two unbelievable things taking place:
First, insolent human beings who have the right to think (or not think) and act for themselves take on puppies like they buy skinny jeans, or a James Blunt CD, or a Razor (remember when that was the new coolest phone?). It's a lifetime commitment made on an adernaline fueled whim because "omg it'll be soooo fun to take it everywhere" and "pitbull puppies are just soooo cute" and "taking your dog into bars is a really great conversation piece". Then they realize what they've actually done a few months down the line, or when that puppy becomes a full sized dog they've thoughtlessly crammed into their apartment, or, you know, it didn't evolve into the bad ass killing machine they'd hoped...and they give up. Wouldn't it be awesome if parents just gave up babies every time they became toddlers? I think that would feel awesome. It would feel awesome to know that someone who was supposed to love you unconditionally realized they didn't plan adequately for you and refuses to compromise their own comfort, and has decided to send you to a cement cage where you'll be gassed in 5 days if no one thinks you're "good enough". I think that if humans had to come face to face with being gassed they might use the brains they were born with and really asess what it means to own a dog. Any breed of dog.
The second thing is that the other side of insolent human beings, the ones who think they're ready to "extend their family" or "open their hearts" to a new dog, want, and seek out, just that: new dogs. Undammaged goods. Whatever that means. Dogs in shelters like the ACC are being killed because people aren't taking them. And people aren't taking them because they're going to pet stores and "backyard breeders" and legitimate breeders who charge you 1500 dollars for a dog. Because people want purbred dogs (because they look better? Because they make YOU look better?). Because people don't feel the need to educate themselves about breeds and think that dropping 2g's for a new weimareiner puppy is a safer choice than paying 50 bucks for a pit bull that's about to have his last meal. (you all got upset when you watched "Dancer in the Dark", come on). When I was working with dogs I had to be supportive to our clients about the unfortunate means they went through to get their expensive pets because it was my job. And now that I don't have that job, and I live in a city that is so infested with animals who have nowhere to go and the morons that ignore them, I really don't have to be polite about it anymore. You just bought a Yorkie for 500 bucks from some apartment breeder on craigslist? Awesome. Let me show you all the dogs that died today because people like you take animals in selfishly. Little living accesories who's primary function is to make you look good. Oh, you didn't know that guy was a breeder & believed he was giving it up due to an unknown allergy? Well, I didn't know a tomato was a fruit at one point, but I had a hunch, did a little research, and found the truth. It is a fruit!

As I am now actually embarking into the process of adopting my own dog, I have found I need to check myself at several points. I feel very firmly that the right thing to do is find my companion from a place that needs help. Not in a "Posh Pets Rescue" where he's never going anywhere. Not from another human who's abusing & neglecting the animals they breed. And that I don't need to be so picky about the sex and breed of what it is, but only specific about qualities that will ensure it is a smart life choice for both the dog, and myself. I know I say that shi tzu's aren't my thing, and poodles are a little ridiculous, but ultimately I would take either of those dogs if the match was right.

I know that I sound like one of those ranty crazy craigslist people that use a million exclamation points every time they say something no one wants to hear. But I guess that's ok. I haven't been able to sleep for the past couple of hours because this issue makes me so (...passionate my father would say?). Every time I have to explain to someone why adopting an animal from a high kill shelter is the best thing to do I feel like I'm explaining the reasons why heroin is the wrong thing to do. It's pretty self explanatory. Should require no explanation.

And I know that once I finally have my own dog my entire perspective on things will shift somewhat. But I anticipate that. And that anticipation weights the fact that I am going to try my best to do the right thing, in the right way, at the right time. I just wish more people would too.

No comments: