1.10.2007

Mamma's Got a Squeeze Box...

I finally caved and uploaded the new version of itunes, 7.whatever. I now have no idea what my computer is doing but it is continually scrolling through my library, allegedly 'determining" things over and over again. I knew I should have stayed antiquated.

But, I did this because, I got an ipod. Yes, I. Got. An. Ipod. Everyone else in the world has one. I finally joined the grown up masses. I suppose now my Hello Kitty discman will have to be bumped to Back-Up status. Probably no one is surprised by this, except me. For all these years I have been relying on my CD player and the mp3-thingie Kat gave me last year, which, of course, I broke. I have no idea how to use this thing. I am a little afraid of it. When it comes to expensive electronics I am a lot like Chris Farley in "Tommy Boy" where he loves his little pet so much that he squeezes it until its head pops off. Also, It's a lot like me with a baby: I'm afraid if I touch it, I will ruin it. But being 23 and marching around the city with a pink Hello Kitty CD player has started to attract unwarranted attention, and I can also never seem to find batteries. So, here we are, my ipod and me. Getting to know each other. So many scrolly buttons. So much "updating". Why is it constasntly updating? I sewed it a little case for it in the hopes that I can actually preserve some of its nice-ness for more than a couple of months. My sister got one today, too. She, as well, sewed a little sock for it. But, of course, hers has a clever button closure because she is both extremely crafty and also very kind to her electronics.

We'll see how this goes, my being integrated into the modern music listening masses. At least I will have 30,000 songs to listen to instead of 16. It might come in useful if I am ever stranded in Canarsie again and need to feel really tough.

Anyway, New York here I come...for good. Me and my black ipod. I'm almost like a grown up now.

No comments: