3.21.2007

Dear Things Are Changing

An ex-boyfriend once taught me that when you're sick, you wear two suits: your orange pants, and your green pajamas. Pants being DayQuil, and pajamas being, thusly, NyQuil. Tonight I put on my green pajamas and wait to become sleepy. It's funny the things you remember from past relationships. I also remember, he used to drink bottles of hot sauce when he had a cold, though that was not a habit I ever picked up.

There is a laundry list of things that are constantly changing for anyone, anywhere, at anytime. When I was in high school I found a quote from Allen Ginsberg that said "That's the thing about life. It goes on". Simple. But at 15 I found it to be some sort of eye-opening peice of wisdom that I had never really thought of before. Life is always going on. At least for someone, somewhere. So I guess, just stop worrying, and just keep moving. Anyway, some things are changing.

Some of some things are:

--Today was the first day of spring. Hello, spring. It didn't feel like spring, but at least now warm rain and rooftops can be anticipated, and late nights that don't feel so late are coming, along with short shorts, and leaking fire hydrants, and happiness, and sweaty bodies.

--I started my job. My first New York paying job. It's good and I'm glad I have it. It's flexible and the people are nice. I redirected male wanna be cowboy models all day and answered phones and moved some boxes. For someone that needs a financial base camp, and a little bit of struture to her weeks, the future looks bright.

--I signed my first lease. My first actual ownership over space. I am now married to a space for the next year, along with my jam-banding companion who signed it with me. At least on paper. It's strange because I know it's something people have to do all the time but I never really immagined myself doing it so soon. We have so much work to do, so many things to build, so many people to come in and complete the home (Lex, I'm looking at you). It's exciting, and also scary. But it feels right. Though, so far, it doesn't feel real.

--The movie is becoming something else. I don't know what it is becoming, but it is changing and evolving dramatically from what it was two months ago. I watch the crazy Turkish man doodling notes and making new charecters and writing large metaphors onto the screen trying to figure it all out. And I don't know if in the end I'll understand it--my aptitude for comprehending art films has never been very great--but I know I was a part of it, and it is a very curious thing to see something you thought you knew evolve into a story you never saw in the beginning.

--My feet are morphing. The left one is, at least. I took my boots off today and looked down and there they were: two things I've stared at all my life, and in little black socks I saw that the left one was starting to slope slightly. Maybe this is a sign that I should invest in some insoles or better shoes, or maybe I should just let it do what it's going to do.

--My laugh is becoming my mothers laugh. My mother's messages are becoming like my grandmother's messages to her, and she always asks "I'm becoming Nanny, aren't I?"

--NyQuil may no longer be the "so you can get some rest medicine". The way things are going right now it's more of the "so you can have a crappy taste in your mouth and wish you could get some rest medicine".

I had other things that were changing, and I felt really amped to write them down (perhaps in an attempt to show myself that things are progressing and I am a creative and evolutionary non-stagnant person), but as it is now, I am mostly just staring into space thinking about dogs, and wether or not my eyes hurt because they're tired or because they're staring at a computer.

More pajamas? Oh brother, let me tell you, I just did. Dreams about dogs? Oh brother, let me tell you, I hope so.

No comments: