12.24.2011

Dear Magical Half-Korean Baby Jesus

In about 10 minutes I am going to go see my nephew play the baby Jesus in a live nativity scene. He is not really my nephew. He is my best friend's infant son, and we are basically sisters, so I count it.  It counts.  It counts to me.


This magical 3 month old son is the most handsome curiosity I have ever laid eyes on.  He is a gale force wrapped inside a chubby body of love and infinite possibility.  Meeting him has changed my life.  More on that later.

The point right now is that this year has been about change and embracing what change means; what change brings.  When our friend's mother called and said "Our church is desperate for a baby to come be Jesus in our nativity play" She agreed to let Desmond take part.  She and her husband are not church goers or avid Jesus-believers, but they are loving members of the community and certainly not people who could pass up the opportunity to let their son play the messiah.  My friend's husband is Korean and therefore Desmond is half-Korean.  We are all very excited to see some diversity brought into an age old story.  As an actor, I can tell you, playing Jesus looks GREAT on a resume.

Desmond came into my world and it changed.  All of our lives are better because of him.  I am elated to be able to watch him share his magic energy with a community of loving people on Christmas Eve.  I can't believe I am saying this, but he is only three months old and I am already so proud of him.

Desmond, thank you for making Christmas be about something new and exciting.  I am BLESSED to be even a camel in the nativity scene of your life.


Desmond's parents have a blog.  It is wonderful.  I suggest you check it out.
xo

1 comment:

Strgzr514 said...

This is so beautifully written! And I totally get the Auntie thing. My son has grown up with some great "Aunties" and I am proud to say I am a great "Auntie" to some pretty neat kids!