12.16.2011

Dear Just Be Grateful

So a while back I had this great idea: Take one month out of the year, and dedicate it to being thankful. Really focus on making it a point to share with the people in my life through a letter, or a phone call, or a nice cup of coffee or WHATEVERITMAYBE what they mean to me and let them know that I am thankful to have them in my life. This sounded like a great idea to me. Because I do feel so thankful. And I believe I should share that. I figured, yeah, it would be like a month of gratitude. Yeah, and November would be great because Thanksgiving is going on and people already have friends, family and togetherness on their minds. Yeah, I thought, it's going to work out great. And then do you know what I learned? IT'S ALREADY A REAL THING. NOVEMBER IS GRATITUDE MONTH. Some group or dude or foundation or greeting card company already made a gratitude month and it's already November, and everyone in America knows that apparently except for me.
UGH.
It was just like the time I thought that I invented facebook. (true and tragic story)

To learn that my amazingly special plan had already been thwarted by it's preexisting popularity, coupled with the totally unattainable scale of my idea led me to do nothing. I thought a lot about my gratitude in November, as I have been doing a lot lately. I put out a lot of vibes about it. Which has to count for something in the grand scope of the universe, but I didn't actually DO anything. Which left me feeling a little bit like I had failed.

But here's the thing. I have been feeling grateful a lot lately (as I literally just said). This year has been a motherfucker in it's proportion of devastating, difficult, triumphant, and beautiful events. The last half of it I have felt constantly awed and humbled by how amazing everything is. And how incredible people are. And how powerful self-love can be (laugh now, that shit is real). And the truth is that even though I didn't make a banner with everyone's name on it and stream it from heaven I truly feel more grateful than I probably ever have before, and living with that and walking with it in my life is, in it's way, doing something. So I guess I just want to say...I mean, I guess what the point of this is (besides that I need to do more research before thinking I've come up with an original idea) that de-elevating my level of expectation for how I express gratitude does not, at it's core, de-value the gratitude itself.
And I would have liked to have given you all handmade cards with the most epic thank you of all time, but this year I've just been too fucking busy living my life. And that's part of what's great here. I am finally much closer to living my life at the mammoth capacity I dream of doing. So I'ma keep putting out the vibes and know that living with gratitude is, well, not an act, but a lifestyle.
Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No, dear miss Carlee, thank YOU!