8.14.2010

to tweet or not to tweet

I need your help.
About a lot of things. (see: probably every conversation I've ever had with any of you)

But right now I have this twitter issue.
I have a lot of issues with twitter. My main issue is that it is stupid. No one is so important that the world should be updated on how tired they are at work, or how good their McNuggets taste. just put that shit on your facebook. It's like having a mini facebook. Tweeting barely even allows enough space to make jokes. And even if you did tell jokes on twitter, I would still say it's stupid. It's like a tiny blog, but the blog is about your favorite color m & m, or the consistency of your morning poops.

That being said, I got this thing going on. I'm starting to sell the stuff I make online. Not that it's good, not that everyone needs it--but I keep sewing shit onto shit and people keep being like "oh woah, mama, that shit's cute" so I was like "well, eff it then. I'ma be brave." Bam. Internet.

It seems like everyone who sells stuff they make has a twitter for it. Even when I made a facebook page, facebook keeps wanting me to link it to a twitter. Is a twitter helpful? If barely anyone cares now about what I make, would they care more if I had a twitter?

Should I make a twitter for goods and services (apparel)?
Help me, America. Help me hard.

mama

1 comment:

Randall Nichols said...

Twitter is useful in the same way Facebook or a blog is useful. It's a networking and promotional tool. Last two jobs I got were not from my exhaustive job searches, but from social networking tools. I use it to link things I do and write, and link things that friends of mine/people whose writing or art I respect or like post online. I've gotten a movie reviewer I respect a lot to compliment the work I do because of it, and I've hooked up with a lot of really intelligent, fun people thanks to it, some of whom I'll likely collaborate on various things with.

Twitter is what you make it. Just because you have one doesn't mean you have to make stupid jokes or constantly bring your followers up to speed on the minutiae of your life. And I understand (really, I do) about the self importance thing, worried about being the unimportant person on the soapbox in the town square, but when you get to the point where you feel like you have something to say, sell, or do, then you have to swallow your pride a little bit and admit, "hey, yes, there's a self-important part of me and I'm going to indulge it, maybe to my benefit."

Short of it, I hated Twitter too until I found a use for it.